Although 2016 is the official centenary of Hodgson Fish, the story actually begins much earlier…
In 1850 when Samuel Cornelius Hodgson developed a smoke house in the area of West Hartlepool known locally as “Wagga”. The business thrived for over half a century until a Zeppelin Bomber bombed and destroyed it in the First World War.
In 1916 Samuel’s son, William Thomas Hodgson, founded a new fish merchant business and opened premises in Whitby Street, Hartlepool, a thriving commercial part of the town and quickly established an excellent reputation.
William’s son and namesake William Mellon Hodgson joined the business in 1947 after serving in the RAF in India followed by a spell as football player for Hartlepool United.
In 1969, William Alan Hodgson (known as Alan) joined his father William in Whitby Street to learn the fish trade and took over the reins to manage the business in 1974 and, although Alan’s father supposedly retired at that stage, he still was very much involved with Hodgson Fish until he passed away in 1997 aged 89.
In 1998, Alan masterminded a new, purpose-built factory on the Fish Quay in the ‘Headland’ area of Hartlepool which has subsequently become the main headquarters of the business, although the Whitby Street store is still thriving.
Today, the firm is run by Alan’s children, Jill and Peter, with Alan’s support and the operation now employs in excess of 50 people and delivers to some of the UK’s leading restaurants, hotels and fish merchants.